'Agree With Everything - Deny Nothing - Embellish All

Friday, March 25, 2005

Pasche Eggs

It's Good Friday, so in a bid to reconnect with my cultural roots, I've gone in for some authentic ethnic cuisine.
Pasche Eggs are a tradition that seems to live on only in the far north. Though if you believe this they found their way to Tennessee some centuries ago.
(Note to avid surfers - you'll have to scroll through those links as I've not yet got the hang of landing the cursor on a specific part of a target page. Applications for the post of Blog Technical Correspondent are welcome).
Apparently painted Easter eggs are still popular in the eastern mediterranean, and I like to think that our own date back to the days of the Roman occupation, the last time that Cumbria and the Levant shared a common culture.
Whatever their origins, Pasche eggs are simple to make and great fun - particularly for children.

You will need:

6 free range eggs
plenty of onion skins (collected throughout Lent for just this occasion)
1 copy of yesterday's Manchester Guardian

Method:
Wrap each egg in a couple of onion skins, ensuring that they completely cover the shell
Wrap the result in half a sheet of newspaper
Place the eggs snugly in a large saucepan and hard-boil them.

When the water's cooled, remove the wrapping and you should have six beautifully dyed, deeply coloured eggs.

Don't eat them yet. Easter Sunday and Easter Monday bring exciting opportunities for traditional pasche egg sports, which I suspect will the subject of another post . . .

2 Comments:

Blogger User451 said...

Nice to have another blogger from Cumbria.

Thanks for the link, I've added you to my list.

Laters.....

25/3/05 9:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny thing, I was just saying this morning to Franklin that it seems the older I get the more jarring the bizarre American Easter stuff seems -- I mean the Easter Bunny? Is there another culture I can blame him on?

27/3/05 5:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home