'Agree With Everything - Deny Nothing - Embellish All

Monday, August 08, 2005

Truth 24 Times A Second

To the Red City on a Monday morning & the studios of Radio Cumbria, there to rendez-vous with my friend The Cineaste. We'd been invited along to the mid-morning show to talk about our shared love of cinema and specifically the Keswick Film Club, with which we're both involved. It was a jolt to be back in a studio after all this time - those with a long acquaintance may recall the heady days of WDAV-FM - but it went off well & it looks as if we're in some danger of being invited back.
In the course of the talk, The Cineaste talked eloquently about the way in which the experience of a certain film indelibly marks itself upon your memories of a particular time and place, how it defines the way you think and feel about the world at a particular age. This set me to thinking about my own personal cinematic landmarks. In no particular order of significance, I'd nominate:

The Seventh Seal - Adolescent religious mania some time in autumn 1973

Alphaville - BBC2's World Cinema slot on a Friday night changed the way I saw the world

Celine et Julie Vont en Bateau - Rivette's labyrinthine fable defined the confusion of student days

Im Lauf Der Zeit - Are we not men? We are itinerant cinema repair operatives!

Wings of Desire - I discovered heaven on the Berlin Wall . . .

Heaven knows what the listeners to Radio Cumbria will make of all this, but I need hardly add that readers are encouraged to share their own favourites in the comments . . .

6 Comments:

Blogger User451 said...

There's only one Jimmy Grimble.

8/8/05 11:13 pm  
Blogger Irene Adler said...

I remember watching The Red Balloon (Le Ballon Rouge, presumably)at my primary school when we were first learning French. I can remember nothing of it apart from (going into Adlestrop mode now)a little boy who has nothing in his life except the eponymous toy and somebody takes it away from him. I was left with a feeling of utter sadness. And I was only ten.
Later, at "A"level, I watched "Le Grand Meaulnes" and was cheered up. I wonder why they've not put this lovely film onto DVD - I've not seen it for more than 25 years.

9/8/05 9:36 am  
Blogger Lampy said...

Hmm, I'd have to nominate (again in no particular order):

Les Quatre-cent coups (or any Truffaut)

If... Lindsay Anderson is so underrated.

The Tin Drum, Volker Schlondorff makes darkness beautiful.

The Tempest, Derek Jarman reminds us how wonderful Liz Welch was.

Jour de Fete, or any Tati film, makes me feel nostalgic for a world I could never be a part of.

10/8/05 9:49 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10/8/05 10:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10/8/05 10:39 pm  
Blogger Nick said...

Irene - Le Grand Meaulnes is an absolutely lovely film, greatly enjoyed.
Lampy - any Truffaut, I'd certainly agree. The Lindsay Anderson revival should, imho, be gathering pace about now. I would certainly like to see all three of the Mick Travis films - If, O Lucky Man & the sadly neglected Britannia Hospital - in a triple bill.

18/8/05 6:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home