'Agree With Everything - Deny Nothing - Embellish All

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

So Long - And Thanks For All The Beer

It seems that a stray dolphin has made the terrible mistake of swimming into the harbour of my home town. The response of the locals? They've been pelting it with cans of lager - a typically warm Maryport greeting. My sympathies are all with the dolphin. I've wandered around, alone and late at night, in the Boston Combat Zone, dodgy parts of South London, Manhattan and New Orleans - and emerged unscathed. My home town is still the only place where I've had beer bottles thrown at me in broad daylight on main street. The dolphin can console itself with the thought that it's probably the most intelligent life-form within several cans' throw of Maryport Marina, but he should take the advice of another escapee: just leave.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nick said...

Lex - my grandparents ran a pub on what was quite literally the wrong side of the tracks of Maryport, so my sympathy for the dolphin, and feeling for the title, is doubled . .

19/1/06 5:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having taken great delight in the arrival of our dolphin at Maryport, I too was disgusted to hear of the "welcome" it was receiving. I have a boat in the marina so we get a really good view of the dolphin swimming around. However, I was appalled to see children, some of which were with "adults", climbing down the ladders and trying to poke it with sticks. I was very tempted to stand on top of the ladders and let the little sods find out what it is like to get really close. Fancy a swim anyone?

28/1/06 2:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home