'Agree With Everything - Deny Nothing - Embellish All

Monday, April 16, 2007

Rap, With A Capital 'C'

Oh dear, oh dear. I'm grateful to the Herr Doktor Professor for bringing to my attention the latest cultural outrage perpetrated by those geniuses at the Cumbria Tourist Board. Just click on this link to be treated to their giant red squirrel rapping his way through William Wordsworth's Daffodils. OK, so the poem's not exactly one of the man's finest moments, but as someone at least slightly responsible for marketing one of the county's major cultural events with a significant youth audience, I'm really at a loss to see how this sort of inanity helps us. Maybe they thought that it would show that they're really, like, down with the Cleator Moor massive, innit? Perhaps someone from GoLakes would like to come on the blog and explain it all to us? If not, I may be forced to use this material in my forthcoming 'Grumpy Old Men' slot on Radio Cumbria . . .

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am beginning to wonder whether this video is a cunning ruse by somebody who is subverting instructions received to attract a “youth audience” to The Lakes. What better way to repel them than by creating such an infantile promotional video?

16/4/07 9:38 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my god that is the worst piece of s--- I believe I have ever seen. I couldn't even watch more than a few seconds of it. The rap is bad enough - the costume...is that a squirrel or a demented dog?

18/4/07 2:31 am  
Blogger Nick said...

Eleanor - it is indeed our furry friend Sciurus vulgaris, the red squirrel, a protected species in UK, where Cumbria is one of its few remaining habitats. I suspect this video will lead to demands for a cull . . .

18/4/07 8:59 am  
Blogger Viking Longship said...

Sigh!

26/4/07 8:08 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home