'Agree With Everything - Deny Nothing - Embellish All

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

TOGO or not TOGO

Here I go. Once or twice a month I leave West Cumbria (WCUK) and visit one of the sites where Shepley work (Shepley Engineers is the company I run (anagram of RUIN I note)) or go to head office(s) in Leeds or London. I do a sort of round Britain tour. I dislike being ‘out of county’, I mean - don’t get me wrong, I have spent quite a bit of time OOC and I can appreciate the rest of the world and have a deep attachment and a place of residence in the other WC- the Western Cape of South Africa (WCSA). Mind you I have been told that WCSA is like WCUK but with sunshine. I’m starting to digress off digressions aaargh.
Back to the point .."Once or twice a month I leave West Cumbria (WCUK) and visit one of the sites where Shepley work (Shepley Engineers is the company I run (anagram of ruin I note)) or go to head office(s) in Leeds or London. I do a sort of round Britain tour. I dislike being ‘out of county’" I honestly believe that there’s nowhere else like WCUK and where we live. I can sit in our garden and have a view 20+ miles east beyond Skiddaw, 20+ miles West over Criffel, 20+ miles to the North to Gretna and beyond and 20+miles South to St Bees and leftish to the Isle of Man. Where else?? Oh - and Bouch’s and the Co-op in Aspatria.
So what’s wrong with the world outside WCUK? Nowt much I’m afraid. They have culture: Crosby, Stills and Nash in Edinburgh on 23 June; Bath; St Pauls Cathedral; Skye; Glasgow; Santander’s cafés; Florence; The Bowes Museum; The British Library; Currently all of our children (but they will be back!); Fearon Fallowe’s grave(WCSA); Bigger mountains; Deeper lakes; Dylan not performing at ArkFest again this year; ....... and so on. Read into that what you will. I could list on for at least a minute.
Once when (in my late 20s… 1978ish) disenchanted with THE CAREER, I spotted, in the Sunday Times.. “ pissed off… crisis.......depressed….. boss a shite….spare a day… and £200".. I took the train to London for some career counselling. The advice was ‘decide where you want to live then find a job’. As I approach retirement and don’t need a job – what do I do now??

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

But you are too young to have seen the antique shop of George Allen. What a treasure house.

7/6/05 4:13 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes

13/6/05 2:14 am  
Blogger Nick said...

Come on, Anon, you'll have to tell us more about this establishment (which none of us remember) - what delights & wonders were there in this treasure-trove? What became of it? And who was / is George Allen?

13/6/05 12:47 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home