'Agree With Everything - Deny Nothing - Embellish All

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Les Delices De Cumbria - Part VII

Last night the Renaissance Man went on what the tabloids would describe as a Last Minute Mercy Dash to my hometown. On a whim he'd decided to have a fish supper - so there was of course only one place to go. Cueto's in Crosby Street have been frying exceedingly fine fish and chips since - I think - the 1920s, when matriarch Emily brought her family over from Bilbao. My family have been enthusiastic customers for four generations. And they're still at it, having lost none of their flair. So we sat down to fish, chips and mushy peas, the batter crisp, the fish firm & moist, the peas sweet but firmly textured. We agreed it was something of a guilty pleasure - but one you have got to experience when you come to Cumbria.

4 Comments:

Blogger Irene Adler said...

Maybe we will call in next week - we will be on holiday in the area.

28/7/05 8:44 pm  
Blogger Nick said...

Irene - if you've not been to Maryport before it may come as a bit of a shock.
For further recommendations of places to visit/drink/eat etc by all means contact me via the email in my Blogger profile

28/7/05 9:38 pm  
Blogger Irene Adler said...

We all turned up at your chip shop on Monday lunchtime, desperate and hungry, only to find it closed. Alas if only I'd seen your kind offer of advice earlier we would have been spared the misery of eating at a lesser establishment. (Actually we did have a lovely view from the aquarium cafe).

I'd visited Whitehaven before, but not Maryport. I have to admit the road north along the coast did not bode well and we nearly did not bother to stop. I thought the harbour strangely reminiscent of Gorey in Jersey, Channel Isles. By the way, who wrote that poem on the pavement?

7/8/05 11:40 pm  
Blogger Nick said...

Poetry on the pavement? In Maryport!! I feel a psychogeographic investigation coming on . . .

8/8/05 8:14 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home