'Agree With Everything - Deny Nothing - Embellish All

Sunday, July 03, 2005

So what did happen to Live Aid 2,3,4,5,6,7?

I am not one of the world's great compassionate thinkers but the 10 hours of rock concert didn't engage me at all in the Africa thing. I can claim to knowing a bit about Africa and the complex issues posed - oh and I'm also middle-aged, white and in a rock band but, yesterday left me cold. Sorry chaps but I'll carry on doing my bit without fanfare and in a way that makes sure that the most amount of help arrives for the cost. I wonder how much that little lot cost to put together and how much people remembered - other than 'they finished with 'hey jude''.
I rarely watch Songs of Praise but today I caught most of it and it was from South Africa. Now this was moving - 'The Soweto Gospel Choir', Alexandra Youth Choir, Soweto BuskAid - fantastic violin by kids who sleep on shack floors, inspirational commentary, Desmond Tutu at his giggling best and the ubiquitous Ladysmith Black Mambazo. I don't know if the Beeb have the technology to let us watch Songs of Praise again - but try. Now that made me feel optimistic for Africa. Find time to sing.
Alexandra Renewal Programme
Professional Dance Academy
Soweto Gospel Choir - some clips
BuskAid
Art Throb (Dinkies Sithole)
Ladysmith Black Mambazo - learn some zulu

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home