'Agree With Everything - Deny Nothing - Embellish All

Monday, August 15, 2005

Life, The Universe & Everything

A late dash to the Kirkgate Centre in nearby Cockermouth this evening - after a sensational day's climbing in Borrowdale, which will be blogged in due course. The entertainment was The Hitch-Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy, and I confess I walked out after twenty minutes - something I have only rarely done. This was not, I must stress, due to my being an Adams purist - though the radio series & the books are among my keenest pleasures. (I was delighted to note that my ticket was numbered '41', clearly a misprint). The problem was the Kirkgate's truly abysmal presentation standards. Note to the projectionist: an in-focus film often delights the audience. Audible sound helps. Consistently audible sound is frequently regarded as a desirable part of the film-going experience. If all else fails, keep on banging the spools together guys . . .

3 Comments:

Blogger Nick said...

Lex, to be fair to the Kirkgate they're in good company - the only similar experience I've had was at the NFT in London, the national cinematheque. Oh, and I remember a showing of '2001' in Love Auditorium many years ago where they mislaid the projector's diamorphic lense . . .

16/8/05 6:35 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are indeed in good company. I have watched a selection of films in Mickleton Village Hall in Teesdale and on several of those occasions the high light, and possibly only memorable/pleasurable part of the experience, was the cup of tea and biscuit provided at the interval. In rural Teesdale however the failure or poor performance in respect of the technical side of things usually results in a mass exodus to the Blacksmiths Arms. At least it helps keep the community spirit alive even if we miss seeing the film!

17/8/05 10:15 am  
Blogger Nick said...

Anon - the Kirkgate have a bar on-site & allow you to take drinks into the auditorium. Now that makes sense . . .

18/8/05 6:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home