'Agree With Everything - Deny Nothing - Embellish All

Thursday, December 22, 2005

The Wigton Haspirative Haffirmative

The Wigton Aspirative Affirmative

Now I can’t quite remember who coined the aspirative affirmative expression .It could have been James (bad to the bone) Waddington or Jonty (over the Top) Brame. In Wigton the natives have this peculiar way of saying Aye.
I’m talking Wigton Cumbria here. The birthplace of the second greatest living Cumbrian (Melvyn Barge). What yer Wigtonian does - is to say the word Aye, add a H and shorten it slightly to pronounce as Hi!, whilst taking a sharp intake of breath. You have to drop the jaw slightly. <breathe in and at the end of the in say> hi!
Have you got it? Once you are competent you can use it in conversation (in most parts of Cumbria) either as a single affirmation OR repeat it (on the same breath) half a dozen times in quick succession .. hi.hi.hi.hi.hi.hi.hi to indicate that you are in total agreement.
I will stop now. That’s enough electrocution lessons for one day. As my dad used to say.

2 Comments:

Blogger Viking Longship said...

oooooooosssssssssshhhHI......pheeeeeei, oooooooosssssssssshhhHI......pheeeeee

Just practicing, but I think 1 new langauge is enough for me, pronunciation (and spelling!!!) has never been my strong point.

23/12/05 8:03 am  
Blogger James Waddington said...

`Twasn't me, sadly

1/1/06 1:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home