'Agree With Everything - Deny Nothing - Embellish All

Saturday, April 08, 2006

Zen Compatibility

In the course of a search for The Renaissance Woman's birthday present yesterday, I found myself amidst the Rococo splendour of the Curry's superstore at Derwent Howe industrial park in Workington. Did they, I asked the sales assistant, stock accessories for a Creative Zen Nano MP3 player? The assistant looked baffled.
- Zen? He asked. No, we don't have any of those.
- Well, I responded cheerily, That's very Zen isn't it?
This was a mistake. He looked at me warily, the words 'piss' & 'taking' clearly jockeying for position in his mind alongside the definite article.
- We've got this, he said, pointing to a rather nifty carabiner-and-jacket combination.
-It's compatible. He paused for a moment. But it doesn't fit.
Wisely, I resisted the temptation of further Zen insights, made an excuse, and left.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems you got the level of compatibility you deserved for looking for a Renaissance present in a Rococo shop.

10/4/06 3:47 pm  
Blogger Ray and Gill said...

On calling in to PC World on my way home last night to collect a new network card for one of our PC's that had fallen ill my immediate excitement at being able to find an assitant to point me in the right direction was quickly dashed when the helpful fourteen year old led me to wireless routers. No, I need a network card I explained - an ethernet card? - a circuit board you put inside a computer to enable it to connect to a network? I'll get a manager he replied warily where upon another lad appeared who knew all about network cards thus restoring my faith in our modern multinational commercial system. As they say, you just can't get the staff these days.

13/4/06 3:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home