'Agree With Everything - Deny Nothing - Embellish All

Monday, October 31, 2005

Harmless Drudgery

Following some fast & loose talk with the Bearded Lexicographer halfway up a crag, I've got myself a new job. I've been engaged to revise the IT words for the next edition of Chambers Dictionary of Science & Technology. So in the spirit of the blogosphere, I'd like to call on the world to collaborate in some harmless drudgery. The world of IT has moved on considerably since the Dictionary's last edition. In particular, the blogosphere has manifested itself, with all the implications that rapid social and technological changes bear for language. So I'd like to hear from you. I'm interested in new or different English words generated by the impact of blogging in particular or the online world in general. Guidelines: we already know about fisking, phishing, malware & podcasting. Let's go for the shock of the new. Anybody care to provide a concise two-sentence definition of, for instance, pwning? But don't just leave it at that. Other new words and their definitions, along with an independent citation, are hereby requested. Please contact me - either via the comments or the email address in the sidebar - if you wish to contribute.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Careful Nick, you're in danger of ending up in full-time employment again!

2/11/05 11:58 am  
Blogger Nick said...

Looks horribly possible doesn't it? 'Do less' seriously needs to be the guiding principle for life in Cumbria . . .

2/11/05 3:52 pm  
Blogger Irene Adler said...

The only thing I can think of in this regard is "Viral advertising" - eg that Volkswagon advert that VW said wasn't an advert. A friend sent it to me (though I did not then pass it on further). I had to look it up on google to find out what it was all about.

2/11/05 11:04 pm  
Blogger Piers said...

Nick, audio-blogging is defined here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audioblogging
Plus a host podnography related terms from godcast to vodcast and from soundseeing to webjays.

3/11/05 10:24 pm  
Blogger Nick said...

Piers - thanks: some useful stuff there, though I'm not so sure about godcasting . . .

6/11/05 6:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home