'Agree With Everything - Deny Nothing - Embellish All

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Blogger Stress

Blogger Stress
Web Log. I have to remind myself that this is what it is – a Web Log. A log a diary, a journal. How I feel on a subject? I know that we have an audience and that sometimes we address ‘the readers’ but - it is just a personal log fergodsake. Recent threats of litigation, visits from the Russian mafia, critical comments on style, content, grammar are conspiring to restrict the flow.
We had the upset over a film critique and the incredibly silly flag thing and trouble brewing over hostility to train managers and architects. It set me thinking that maybe that’s the problem with personal logs in that they depend so much on our own inside knowledge. Readers have to have the background and understanding of the writers to appreciate why the piece was written. The blog postings are not neutral newspaper reports nor are they essays to be marked and returned with ‘must try harder; grammar poor; do you really have to be so hard on Barrow-in Furness’
I tracked back some links to a small rant I produced about Santander. Some reader blasted, what I thought was a clever debunk of,  my attempt to speak a foreign language, in particular Spanish. The post praised the Spanish diet and suggested that if it wasn’t for their smoking they would live forever. What put the back up of my critic was the title ‘ My Spanish is Trez Merdre’. An in-joke in the Ren household and therefore I should have realised incomprehensible to anyone other than family or the David Jason school of comedy. A few years back whilst on hols with my mother in the Picos Europa, at breakfast I attempted to get some more butter for the mother’s toast. I managed to mangle some French, Italian and Spanish and asked for three more donkeys. Trez Mas Burro Por Favour GasOn Is what I actually said. There was much laughter from the kitchen.

7 Comments:

Blogger Nick said...

Ah, how splendid - I well remember my early attempts to convey to a Frenchwoman that I was hungry. "J'ai treize femmes" representing, of course, quite a different kind of appetite.
And don't get me started on the Italian watermelons . . .

22/11/05 12:01 pm  
Blogger Nick said...

Oh, and I'd go ahead & republish the sordid truth about Ms Kalinina & her guild of artists scheme . . . Courage! Truth! Resolution!

22/11/05 11:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is the grapefruit in Italian which has to be approached with caution if at all: one vowel slightly wrong and you are in much the same territory as one attempting to talk of the sacred in Dutch and getting the initial gutteral wrong, as did the Late Pontiff on his visit to the Netherlands.

22/11/05 11:42 pm  
Blogger boudica of suburbia said...

boeuf a la mode nick, boeuf a la mode.

xxB

24/11/05 4:39 am  
Blogger Nick said...

Boudica, I'm grateful for the suggestion . . .

24/11/05 6:56 pm  
Blogger Nick said...

Peter . . . you'd better share the Dutch Pope joke . . .

24/11/05 6:57 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you must be getting a bit excited now Renman - some unforced grammatical errors coming through - must try harder!

27/11/05 11:28 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home