'Agree With Everything - Deny Nothing - Embellish All

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

I've been thinking

I've been thinking. Twice in as many weeks.
Take a look at these 6 faces: Why are they likeable?
Charles, the painter, says it's due to their World icon status and also adds Mother Theresa, Princess Diana, Marilyn Monroe (to balance my male dominated selection). I'm not so sure. 2 of the above have no World icon standing and 1 of them is relatively unknown. 3 are alive; 2 were shot; they all have some celebrity probably due in some way to the way they look. Quite a lot of icons are not likeable and quite a lot of celebrities I wouldn't recognise. Tony Blair, George W and to some extent David Cameron all have recogniseable, approaching icon, faces, but for different reasons, have a countenance in need of a good slap (as the late father used to say). I'd queue to have a smack at young Cameron.
I know very little about the personal traits of any of the above - John Lennon I believe was a bit of a self-centred sod with Cynthia at least, but that doesn't stop me liking his image.
Wondering now - why in my first 'think' I didn't choose a woman. Ummm - could be something to do with the published image of women. Female images are always based on sex which can be confusing as we all know. The likeability of a Marilyn Monroe image is totally constructed.
See what I mean? Personally Julie Christie always did it for me.
No. There has to be something more to it. It's not to do with beauty either 'cos that's in the eye of the beholder.
I'm puzzled. Maybe it's face shape or eye spacing or the captured smile. Captured smile or the image frozen in time - constructed again - Einstein didn't smile much but the eyes twinkled (Charles said). Lennon's eyes hidden I hear you say. In that case that would make him least likeable of the bunch above. Maybe so?
Charle's threw in Che Guevara as another of the likeable icons. It depends on which image they print I say. Discuss or tell me to get on with something useful.

3 Comments:

Blogger Nick said...

Hmm . . . well 'Che Guevara's' real name was Ernie Lynch. Somehow I think if you're going to be an international icon and revolutionary leader then changing your name from Ernie Lynch to . . well, practically anything really . . is quite a smart career move.

12/10/07 11:29 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ernie Lynch! Ernie Lynch?

13/10/07 4:48 pm  
Blogger Nick said...

Well, Ernesto Guevara-Lynch, to give him his full name. 'Che' was what his mates called him in Fidel's insurgency.
I'll see what I can do about the Julie Christie pix.

18/10/07 9:51 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home