'Agree With Everything - Deny Nothing - Embellish All

Thursday, May 10, 2007

50% of banjaxed gig at Meriendas – another list for comment please

Last Friday we performed at Meriendas. We being - RenWoman on lead vocals, shakers, bodhran, upstaging; mesel on guitar, harmonies occasional vocals; Ricardo on the 'box' (cajones – flamenco beat box). We're half of banjaxed (the local well known beat combo) and still struggling for a name. 'Not Quiet Broken' was suggested. Anyways a fiver to a charity of your choice for the best name.

The set list gives a fair idea of the age and musical experience and inclination of the band.

  1. Box Rag – Instrumental (made up on the night to warm up the audience) – reprised later in the set - but different.
  2. I once loved a lad (Eng Trad – slightly jazzes – in D with the bottom E dropped to D for the musos)
  3. Ruby Tuesday (Jagger- Richards – fair cover with the stones' usual riff duh dah dah)
  4. Mozambique (from Dylan's Desire – shaker – a bit faster than the original)
  5. Where Do The Children Play
    (Cat Stevens ~ thingie Islam now … I use the guitar effects pedal on this one if I can find it)
  6. Times They are a Changing
    (Bob - but a reggae version. Bob who? DYLAN DYLAN!!)
  7. Love and Happiness
    (I forget who by – that chap from Dire Straits and Emmy Lou I think. I can't help hearing it as Love and A Penis. Which sort of spoils it for performing seriously)
  8. The One I Love
    (David Gray – with the effects pedal again to make it sound like a helicopter – if I can find…the…. Right…. Ah …)
  9. Dimming of The day
    (Richard Thompson – great song great harmony – fun to sing)
  10. Careless Love
    (Trad – very much the Joan Baez version. For this one we become 2/3rds of banjaxed as Valeree joins us)
  11. Super Trooper
    ( ABBA – yes ABBA. I like it - though there was some resistance from RW and Ricardo)
  12. ONE (yer man BONO – but nearer the Johnny Cash version. ABBA ? U2? I don't question my thought processes in drawing up these lists)
  13. Baby can I Hold You – Sorry (Tracy Chapman – great song, difficult timing. Someone (SIMON Dawson!) dropping the dominos in the first bar didn't help)
  14. Love Me Do (Lennon & Macca. Slowed down version – great simple song – I sneak in a Steve Tilston ending)
  15. Too Old to Wrangle (not sure of the provenance – have known it for years – country harmony all the way . not sure who does the tune - me or RW)
  16. Things Have Changed (Bob again – but more recent from his gardening period – the only song I know about wheelbarrows)
  17. Every Night (McCartney via Phoebe Snow – with carry that weight and another macca song at the end. Much as I try to dislike Paul he does occasional throw in a good un)
  18. Party Doll (Jagger Richards again – great song – relatively unknown – look it up by Mary Chapin-Carpenter)
  19. Frank Mills (from Hair – really nice little narrative song with only 1 rhyme - slant - Waverley with unfortunatley)
  20. Let No Man Steal Your Thyme (Trad; Pentangled and then 50% banjaxed- good jazz feel)
  21. Wheels On Fire (Bob – via Julie Driscoll – rocks)
  22. San Francisco Bay Blues (Jesse Fuller; but I've been doing it since 1965 – long before Eric C – so there)
  23. Please Please Me (Lennon Mac; very slowed down version – more like a folk song)
  24. Pebbles on the Beach ( A gem from Paul Weller)
  25. Bobby McGee (Kristofferson with the Joplin ending – yeh I know but everybody sings along)
  26. I got you Babe (Sonny Bono and Cher? – no matter how many times we sing it I still don't know the words)
  27. Paved Paradise (Joni Mitchell – as near as we can to the original)
  28. We didn't do 'Love the One You are With' (Steve Stills) .. 'cos I forgot the timing .. weird

Any requests - for our next outing please? Apart from the usual 'Play far away' and 'I think the sax would sound good in Bobby McGee'

4 Comments:

Blogger Nick said...

The sax sounds absolutely dreadful in practically anything, with every prospect of staying that way . . .
My vote goes for anything from Bob's back catalogue. 'Abandoned Love', there's a neglected classic . . . & not a saxophone within earshot.

10/5/07 1:48 pm  
Blogger Nick said...

Actually, on second thoughts this version of Never Let Me Go is probably a good choice too

10/5/07 11:58 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How 'bout this one

Prosit

17/5/07 10:08 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Twas a great night - hope we can play at Meriendas again soon

Ricardo - of the Box

24/6/07 11:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home