'Agree With Everything - Deny Nothing - Embellish All

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Inheritance tax - do we give a damn whose idea it was?

Not really.
A threshold increase was always going to be announced.
The Boy George knew it was coming so said "£1Million" knowing it was a bit ahead of what Darling/Grodon had worked out precisely. Who cares, he/they thought, if £1M would have a negative effect it's bigger and, in this instance, better than £700k.
More money for hospitals and education and .... see I've forgotten already the other thing, are all ... yeah the flight tax... I remember. Anywez they were all anticipated and The Boy George did a clever bit of upstaging - stole all the punchlines. That's the way I read it.
Or - Did he? I have serious doubts all round - everyone of them is a fibbing Tuareg.
Hell I'm confused now. Maybe they were Genghis Campbell's ideas afterall- Simon Hughes thinks so. Not much you can do with a name like Simon Hughes?
Go for a fixed term between elections that's what I say.
I'm not sure I can be bothered voting again. Certainly not for a party.
Forgive my political outburst - I retire from paid employment tomorrow (12 Oct 2007) after 42 years and I'm feeling a little trepidatious (must check spelling).
We had in mind that this blog site would be 'Arts & Literature'. Didn't we TWIR? What happened?

3 Comments:

Blogger Nick said...

The genuinely extraordinary thing is the media feeding frenzy that's erupted over this - an idea which will directly benefit a very few of the population while the overall tax position remains revenue-neutral (i.e. the Tories are robbing the poor to give to the rich . . . no change there . . .)

12/10/07 11:43 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And the "Tories" over here are desperate to keep their dynastic fortunes intact by eliminating the tax altogether. Their marketing move is to dub it the DEATH TAX.

13/10/07 1:57 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nick,

I don't think there is such a werd.

Congratulaions on your retirement.

Phred

20/10/07 5:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home